Where is Houses of Ortamahalle. How to go? When to go? In the Black Sea,…
Where Is It ? How To Go ? What Are The Activities?
The Sumela monastery in Trabzon, Maçka is located at an elevation of 1,150 meters above sea level. After visiting the monastery, you can revive your trip with a wonderful hiking.
It is not difficult to reach the monastery after going to Trabzon by plane or by bus from all over our country.
Within the borders of Altındere Village of Maçka District of Trabzon, Sumela Monastery, built on a steep rock on the outskirts of Montenegro, overlooking the Altındere valley. Among the people “Virgin Mary anıl is called with the name. Located at an altitude of approximately 300 meters from the valley, with this location, the monasteries outside the city, forests, caves and water tradition continued to be established.
When To Go To Sumela Monastery?
Generally, visitors prefer summer. We recommend you to go to the monastery in summer as the trees start to bloom in spring and add beauty to the beauty in summer.
History And Story Of Sumela Monastery
The monastery founded in the name of the Virgin Mary named Sumela ıt is said to be from the word molasses which means black. Although it is thought that this name comes from the dark Montenegrins where the monastery was founded, the word Sumela can be attributed to the black color of the image of Mary here.
This monastery, which has a long history, is also known as the ast Virgin Mary Monastery. This monastery, known to have been founded by two priests from Athens between 375-395, was restored in the 6th century upon the request of Emperor Justinian to repair and extend the monastery.
Following the entry of the eastern Black Sea coast into the Turkish sovereignty, the Ottoman Sultans, like many monasteries, protected the rights of Sümela and gave some privileges.
The monastery, which was renovated in 18th century, experienced its richest period with the addition of large buildings in the 19th century.
Story Of Sumela Monastery
It is believed that two Athenian priests had a dream the same night. In his dreams Hz. Jesus and the Prophet. They are told by Mary to build a monastery. The two priests set out unaware of each other and went to where they dreamed, that is to say, when they come to the place where the Sumela Monastery is now. Two priests who think that this is a sign of the worship lay the foundation of the monastery.
The monastery came to its original form until the 14th century. Refreshed by Aleksios.Therefore, in some parts of the walls there are pictures of the emperor.After the conquest of the region, Yavuz Sultan Selim did not intervene in any way and even gave two candlesticks as a gift to the Christians.
Local Food Of Sumela Monastery
An all-organic breakfast is served every morning in a restaurant near Sumela Monastery.
Activities In Sumela Monastery
When the Sumela Monastery is mentioned, history comes to mind first. But when you go to this monastery, which is intertwined with nature, you can also benefit from the beauties around it.
Sümela Monastery, which has a long history, is appreciated by those who went before. Although not certain, it is known that the structure was built between 375-395. Entrance fee to Sümela Monastery is 10 TL per person. You can also enter the monastery free of charge for one year with Museumcard. For this reason, we recommend you to buy Museumcard. (2019 Price)
After leaving one of the beautiful legacies left to us by history, you find yourself in trees, creeks and many others. You can spend your trip with a nice hiking.
Bonus: If you visit Sümela Monastery and use the monastery stairs on your way back, you will find yourself in a unique natural beauty and journey.
How To Get To Sümela Monastery? What Is Distance To Our Hotel?
You can get to Sümela Monastery either by bus in Trabzon city center or by bus or minibus service in Maçka.
• The distance between Trabzon Sumela Monastery is approximately 42 kilometers and it takes about 55 minutes by car.
• The distance between Erzurum Sumela Monastery is approximately 291 kilometers and it takes approximately 3 hours 58 minutes by car.
• The distance between Samsun Sumela Monastery is approximately 372 kilometers and it takes about 5 hours and 24 minutes by car.
• The distance between Ankara Sumela Monastery is approximately 776 kilometers and it takes about 10 hours and 3 minutes by car.
• The distance between Bursa Sumela Monastery is approximately 1,139 kilometers and it takes about 13 hours and 21 minutes by car.
• The distance between Istanbul Sümela Monastery is approximately 1.110 kilometers and it takes approximately 13 hours and 20 minutes by car.
• Diyarbakır Sümela Monastery is approximately 604 kilometers away and takes approximately 8 hours and 19 minutes by car.
• About 797 kilometers from Adana Sümela Monastery distance and about 11 hours and 25 minutes by car.
• The distance between İzmir Sumela Monastery is approximately 1.475 kilometers and it takes approximately 16 hours and 47 minutes by car.